Your Ultimate Guide to Buying a Storage Bed
Shopping for the right bed is a challenging process. With the number of bed styles and considerations, it can be difficult to choose the right piece that will complement your overall needs.
If you're looking for a bed that can provide comfort and efficiency, a storage bed is a great choice. Storage beds gained popularity over the years, especially now that homeowners prefer their spaces to be multifunctional. When opting for a multifunctional space, it makes sense to go with a storage bed.
To help you with your purchasing decision, here is a quick buying guide to storage beds in Singapore.
What is a Storage Bed?
A storage bed is a multipurpose sleep solution that provides a sturdy base for your mattress and efficient storage for your bedroom essentials. This bed can either be a divan with pull-out drawers or an ottoman-like under the bed storage. These units are big enough to store linens, blankets, bedding, seasonal clothes, and other items that you want to keep out of sight. The number of drawers and the capacity of the lift storage depend on the size of the bed. Ultimately, queen and king size divan beds have twice the number of drawers as single and super-single beds.
What are the Types of Storage Beds
Among the different types of storage beds, it's important to know the features that will go well with your needs and space requirements. Of course, various types have their own aesthetic appeal too. Below are some storage bed types that are worth investing in:
If you are familiar with small ottoman storage, you will understand the concept of an ottoman bed. An ottoman bed can be lifted up to reveal the spacious storage underneath the mattress base. This hollow storage provides enough space for large bedroom items like bedding accessories, pillows, out-of-season clothes, decorations, and even carpets and rugs that can't fit in a smaller cabinet. This means having a storage unit as large as your bed without taking up too much floor space. You may use the storage as is or section it to organise smaller items.
Ottoman beds come with easy-lift hydraulic systems, which help you reveal the entirety of the storage underneath with ease.
Divan Bed with Drawers
Divan beds are upholstered frames that are the same size as the mattress they're handling. While the structure itself is good for space-saving, many divan beds include pull-out drawers that are either placed at the bottom end underneath the feet or on each side of the bed. Smaller divan beds generally have fewer drawers than larger varieties, but this depends on the configuration of the unit.
Divan beds with drawers can be customised depending on your storage needs and furniture placement. Generally, those who have bedside tables opt for divan storage units that are placed on a single side of the frame.
Sofa Bed with Storage
A storage sofa bed is very handy multipurpose furniture for your guest room, living room, or home office. Its chaise-like storage space is generally spacious enough to fit pillows and bedding. So even if you have unexpected guests, you won't have to worry about pulling out some linens from deep down in your drawers. When there are no guests, you can enjoy the cosy and spacious seating the sofa bed provides.
When shopping for a storage sofa bed, make sure to allow enough space, not only for your sofa but also for the bed when converted.
Kids Storage Bed
It's no secret that kids' rooms are messy and cluttered. To help them get organised, it's important to choose creative beds with storage. Bunk beds or cabin beds with storage are visually appealing for kids and are preferred for shared rooms. They typically have a mixture of drawers and shelves to arrange books and toys. Single and super single divans with storage are chosen for those transitioning into their teenage years.
Advantages of Storage Beds
When you lack space, it's important to find ways to mix two or more functions into one available area. A storage bed is a champion in this category since the bed is one of the most cluttered spaces in our homes. Here are the advantages of having a storage bed at a glance.
- Storage beds provide ample space to keep bedding and other large bedroom essentials that cannot fit in smaller drawers.
- Storage beds can help reduce clutter and keep it out of sight because of their seamless storage design.
- You can create compartments in your storage bed depending on your storage needs.
- Storage beds work like two furniture pieces in one.
- Children's storage beds provide ample shelving space to double up as a display unit for books and toys.
- Storage beds are cosy and aesthetically pleasing, as they come with padded and upholstered frames.
- Storage beds come in different sizes, materials, and configurations, so you will never run out of great choices for your home.
Drawbacks of Storage Beds
While there are numerous benefits, it’s also important to weigh the drawbacks when shopping for a storage bed. Although it is the ultimate space-saving furniture, its bulky design can be difficult to handle if you frequently redesign your space.
- Storage beds are bulky and can be hard to move, especially when filled with stored items.
- Storage beds cannot be as easily disassembled as other bed varieties because they have a more solid structure.
What to Consider When Buying Storage Beds
To make sure you get the most out of your investment, we highly recommend taking these things into consideration when buying your storage bed.
- How much space do you have? There are different styles of storage beds. Although great for space-saving, drawer storage beds take up floor space when opened. We recommend opting for a hydraulic lift storage divan if you have less floor space.
- What are your storage needs? Storage beds provide a versatile solution for your needs, especially bigger ones. However, just like other storage solutions, these divans also have a weight limit. When buying a storage bed, always check the weight limit to make sure what you plan to store will not put too much pressure on the storage area.
- Will you open your storage frequently? Ease of access is very important in any storage space. While easy-lift hydraulic systems make it easier to access ottoman beds, it may not be as convenient to lift them every day as you need to consider the placement of your mattress and bedding. For daily use, we recommend choosing drawer storage. For expansive and seasonal items, ottoman beds are exceptionally functional.
- How much is your budget? Hydraulic lift storage beds are a bit pricier than beds with drawers. However, this depends on the quality of the materials.
As living areas shrink, it's imperative to look for solutions to maximise your available space. Storage beds are rather bulkier than standard bed frames but provide efficient storage for extra items that cannot fit in the wardrobe or chest of drawers.
If you're thinking about enhancing your room's aesthetics while adding more functions to your space, you'll definitely enjoy having a storage bed within your home.
Recommended products for this article
Quick DeliveryCampo Fabric Storage Bed (Water Repellent)On sale from $489.00 $489.00
Quick DeliveryDevonne Faux Leather Storage BedFrom $449.00 $449.00
Quick DeliveryDevonne Grey Fabric Storage Bed (Water Repellent)From $449.00 $449.00
Quick DeliveryAshleah Faux Leather Storage BedFrom $449.00 $449.00