Modern Bedroom Furniture Buying Guide
As one of the most important areas of your home, your bedroom should be a sanctuary where you rest and recharge after a long day. From the major bedroom furniture pieces like the bed frame, mattress, and wardrobe to accent pieces that liven up your space, choosing the right furniture matters in creating a cosy and functional bedroom. What's more, when creating a modern bedroom design, focusing on the minimum while choosing the right pieces is important.
But what kind of bed do you need? What type of mattress will support you? How much storage space do you require? It's true that shopping for bedroom furniture can be overwhelming, but with this buying guide, we'll help you understand what to focus on to furnish your ultimate modern bedroom oasis.
The Right Bed Frame
The most important furniture piece in your bedroom is the bed frame. This is where you spend 1/3 of your life recharging, so it's crucial to find the one that suits your sleeping needs.
Bed Frame Size
Bed frames come in many dimensions: single, super single, queen, and king sizes. These sizes are partnered with standard mattress units that suit your comfort preferences. When choosing a bed frame and mattress size, consider your sleeping position, the number of people sharing the bed, your room's space, and the area required to move comfortably. When measuring the bed frame, also know the correct measurements of your mattress since varieties can differ despite bearing the same size label. Don't forget to measure the headboard, especially if you're purchasing a divan. It's paramount to allow enough space between your bed frame, walls, and other furniture pieces to allow plenty of room to move around.
Bed Frame Material
Modern bed frames come in various materials, like versatile wood, metal, fabric, and leather. These materials determine the longevity and style of your bed frame. Wooden bed frames are excellent for many themes, with lots of designs and colour assortments. Metal bed frames provide leveled-up sophistication to any space, while upholstered bed frames make a warm and cosy bedroom area.
Bed Frame Storage
If you're short on square footage, go for a bed frame with under-bed storage. For easier access, many storage beds come with hydraulic lift systems. These storage beds are versatile enough to be compartmentalised and store various items in different sizes.
The Supportive Mattress
The perfect partner for a beautiful bed frame is, of course, a cosy mattress. A mattress is a significant investment that stays in your bedroom for at least ten years, so it's vital to bring an appropriate unit into your home. It can be very confusing to choose one when you're faced with various options, so here's the breakdown to help you narrow your choices.
The memory foam mattress is one of the most popular mattress varieties, featuring contour comfort from its viscoelastic material that conforms to the body's natural shape through heat transfer. This is helpful when targeting pressure points. If you don't prefer the hugging sensation provided by a memory foam mattress, opt for a latex mattress that offers a bouncy feel. You may also try an innerspring mattress that provides orthopaedic support with its firmer structure. For mattress sharers, we recommend a pocketed spring mattress that responds individually to body movements. If you're looking for a more versatile variety, check out a hybrid mattress that combines the benefits of different mattress materials.
Like bed frames, mattresses also come in different sizes to fit different sleeping needs. Ultimately, single mattresses are best for kid's rooms or single adult use. Super-single mattresses are slightly larger, providing ample space for single users but not enough for shared adult use. Queen-size mattresses are popular because they provide enough sleeping space for two adult mattress users or a family with a little kid. If you need more space, we recommend upgrading to a king-size mattress.
Read more: Beginner's Guide to Mattress Sizes in Singapore
The firmness of your mattress will significantly determine its comfort. When finding the right mattress firmness, consider your sleeping positions and comfort preferences. Generally, back sleepers require medium-firm to firm mattresses, while side sleepers need softer models to contour their hips and shoulders. Stomach sleepers need firmer mattresses to maintain a healthy posture as much as possible.
Read more: The Beginner's Guide to Mattress Firmness in Singapore
Aside from your bed and mattress, the right storage will help you create a functional bedroom. A wardrobe cabinet is the biggest piece of storage furniture in your bedroom, containing your clothes, blankets, linens, towels, and other essentials. Understand your storage needs before shopping for a wardrobe to guarantee you get the most out of your furniture investment. Here's a quick checklist to assess your storage needs:
- How many people will use the wardrobe cabinet?
- What type of clothes will you store?
- Do you have enough floor space for an open-door wardrobe?
- How do you see your long-term storage needs?
Ultimately, your storage needs will determine how big your wardrobe will be and what configuration it will have. Do you need more hanging space? How about the folding space? Will you also store shoes and boots? How big is your room? If you have a compact bedroom space, expand your room's function by choosing a taller wardrobe. If you want a storage solution that is tailor-fitted to your own needs, go for a modular wardrobe. Don't forget to check the materials!
There are other storage furniture pieces that you can add to your bedroom, like a chest of drawers, perfect for folded clothes and small items like accessories, a bedside table, or a dresser.
Additional Furniture Shopping and Designing Tips
- Focus on the quality of your furniture. Modern bedroom furnishing is about functional aesthetics. While you aim to have a beautiful bedroom, building a purposeful space filled with durable materials is also crucial. When shopping for bedroom furniture, always focus on high-quality and timeless pieces that are built to last.
- Start designing your bed. As the focal point of your bedroom, it's good to start furnishing your space with your mattress and bed frame. To make sure you can fit your furnishings without compromising your bed space, we recommend buying your bed frame first before deciding on your storage and accent furniture pieces. This will help you gauge your room size and ensure that everything will fit in your room later on.
- Consider who is using the bedroom. Before deciding on a theme or furniture piece, you need to consider who will use the space. Will it be a kids' bedroom? A teen's room? The primary room? Will the room double as a home office? If yes, you shall design the bedroom to make it conducive to working.
- Create a workable decorating style. Trends will change all the time, but a good thing about modern interior design is that it includes furniture pieces and palettes that transcend trends. When shopping for furniture, focus on neutral bases and brighten your space with accent furniture and changeable decorations. Do you need to buy a bedroom set with matching furniture pieces? It is up to your preference. But if you want to curate furniture pieces that better describe your personality, we recommend investing in your bedroom furniture one by one.
Recommended products for this article
Devonne Faux Leather Drawer Bed FrameFrom $389.00 $389.00
Quick DeliveryCampo Fabric Storage Bed (Water Repellent)On sale from $489.00 $489.00
Audria Walnut Bedroom SetRegular price $1,099.00
Modolva Modular Wardrobe W01From $859.00 $859.00