Are Mattress Toppers Worth It?
Some people see them as a luxury; others see them as a need. If you are buying a mattress and checking if a mattress topper is also worth purchasing, continue reading this guide.
A mattress topper is a two- to four-inch bedding layer that is positioned at the top of the mattress to provide additional support and cushioning for added comfort. This is usually made of memory foam, latex, wool, and other materials that provide the right support according to your preferences.
Aside from enhancing the warmth and comfort of your mattress, a mattress topper also serves as an additional layer of protection against dirt, spills, and dust mites. While a mattress topper is helpful, its benefits will depend on why you need one.
In this guide, we will list the benefits and downsides of having a mattress topper, plus some indications that you need one.
The Advantages of Using a Mattress Topper
- A mattress topper prolongs the life of an old mattress. An old mattress becomes saggy and unsupportive over time, Using a mattress topper can help you receive an ample amount of support as a short-term alternative while you still don’t have a replacement.
- Mattress toppers make firm mattresses softer. This is advantageous for mattress sharers who have different weight levels or sleep positions. If your partner needs firmer support while you prefer a plusher mattress, a mattress topper can help meet both of your sleeping needs.
- A mattress topper can make a thinner mattress more comfortable. Thick mattresses offer more support layers, which makes them more comfortable. However, if you have a thinner mattress, a mattress topper is a more affordable way to increase your sleep comfort.
- A cooling mattress topper can make your sleeping surface more breathable. If you are a hot sleeper but love the conforming comfort of a memory foam mattress, a mattress topper can help promote better ventilation.
- When stained, a mattress topper is easier to clean than a whole mattress.
The Downsides of a Mattress Topper
- Although it can help prolong the lifespan of your mattress, a mattress topper is not a replacement for a new mattress, especially when used on old innerspring mattresses where the coils can be felt.
- Some mattress toppers are too firm for some sleepers’ liking.
- Some premium mattress toppers are expensive.
Do You Need a Mattress Topper?
Get a mattress topper if:
- Your foam mattress is too hot. Note: Look for mattress toppers with cooling properties to achieve better breathability.
- Your mattress is losing its support even after flipping or rotating. If your mattress is too firm or too soft for your taste, if your mattress is too firm, choose a memory foam topper. If it is too soft, a latex mattress topper can help.
- You want a luxurious feel for your mattress, but you are on a budget.
- You want to enjoy your mattress investment for a longer period of time.
A mattress topper is worth it if: You want to upgrade your mattress comfort.
A mattress topper is not worth it if: You need a mattress replacement.
The benefits of a mattress topper depend on how you will use it. If you plan to use it as a mattress alternative, it can only provide temporary comfort. While it helps with an old mattress, if your mattress is already at the end of its lifespan and is already worn out, investing in a new mattress is still the best choice. But if you want to upgrade the comfort of your bed and prolong its lifespan upfront, you can definitely benefit from buying one.
Recommended products for this article
Quick DeliveryMylatex Natual Latex Topper (2")On sale from $499.00 $499.00
Quick DeliverySleepAngel Full Natural Latex 2 inch TopperOn sale from $339.00 $339.00
Quick DeliveryHillcrest Duo Side Mattress Fitted ProtectorOn sale from $25.00 $25.00
Quick DeliverySlumberland Anti-Dustmite Mattress ProtectorOn sale from $24.00 $24.00