A Buyer's Guide to Side Tables
Looking for a way to balance your living room design? This little furniture piece might be your best solution. Check out this side table buying guide to find out more.
The humble side table is a simple yet elegant piece that completes a living room's design. Notice how even when your space is furnished with a stunning sofa, a coffee table, and spacious storage, it still looks incomplete? Maybe you lack the bed frame's best friend—your bedside table.
A side table, interchangeably referred to as an end table, is a small piece of furniture that provides ample table surfaces for entertaining and storing. It serves as a catchall for your living room items and has a decorative purpose. From intricately designed side tables to modern varieties, you will find a range of side tables that will work well with your interior design.
Although not considered major living room furniture, the side table is an integral part of the area. It's highly versatile, too! Here are the things a side table can do.
- A side table provides balance in your living space. Sometimes, what you need to complete your interior design is a simple small piece called a side table. Whether you have an extra space or an awkward corner, placing a side table beside your sofa or in an empty corner can help balance the space. Anchoring a major furniture piece like the sofa can make the living room more balanced and complete.
- A side table adds a functional surface. Aside from its decorative value, a side table offers an ample tabletop surface for your lamp, vase, decor, magazines, remote controls, and snacks (insert anything you often place on top of a table). It can also work as a stationary cart when you have guests.
- Many side tables come with extra storage. Need an additional shelf for your magazines? You may choose a side table with double compartments. When in need of more secured storage, go for a unit with a cart-like structure.
- You can also use your side table as a mini bookshelf. Speaking of shelves and compartments, if you don't have a bookshelf in your living room but are looking for a place where you can organise your mini book and magazine collection, You can stack some books on your side table and make them available for reading. This way, you can easily check on your collection if you want to spend a break in your living room.
- Round tables help make the room safer. Square tables and other furniture in your living room have corners that can pose a danger to your kids. Having a circular side or end table doesn't only balance the look of your space but also provides a safer surface for your young ones. The lack of corners generally reduces the risk of accidents and injuries.
- A side table can be used as under desk storage. Because of its size, a side table can effortlessly fit under an office table. If you need immediate storage for your home office essentials, try using a side table as an alternative to a storage cart.
How to Land Yourself the Perfect Side Table?
There are various styles, materials, and functions to choose from when shopping for side tables. Whether buying online or in-store, you need to consider the same things to find the piece that will benefit the space the most.
What Size Do You Need?
Side or end tables come in different sizes and configurations. Ultimately, your side table should be taller than your sofa's seat but shorter than your sofa's back. This is to guarantee you can place drinks, decor, and knick-knacks in a reachable range. Lower side tables are perfect for placing tall vases and lamps, but not as much for food and beverages.
The tabletop size depends on your allotted space and needs. Allow enough space between your sofa, table, and walls to prevent your living room from looking cramped or too crowded. Also, it’s important to think about the layers of your design when choosing the size and height. While it is more challenging to think outside the box when styling your home, it’s definitely worth it to create a layered look with different furniture sizes.
What Shape Do You Want?
Traditional side tables are usually round or square and have a more detailed look than contemporary pieces. Modern side tables are noticeably simpler and lighter, while contemporary units express creative structures and airy materials. Choosing the shape of the end table depends on your preference. The easiest way to decide is to consider if you want this accent table to blend with your overall design or stand out as a decorative piece. If you have enough area to maneuver, you may choose a nesting table to double your surface.
What Side Table Material is the Best?
The most common side table materials are wood, brass, plastic, metal, marble, quartz, sintered stone, and other stone materials. Your material choice depends on the look that you want to achieve. Wood is a versatile material that fits many styles, while, surprisingly, metals are lightweight and perfect for modern and contemporary spaces.
When choosing the material for your side table, you don’t have to look for a piece that matches other furniture materials in your living room, as long as you create a balance within your mix.
Side Table Styling Tips
Once you figure out what styles, shapes, and sizes of the side table you want to get, it's time to work on the areas you plan to spruce up with the piece.
Where Do You Place Your Side Table?
A side table is generally placed on the side of the sectional or the sofa, but there are other places you can anchor a side table to make your room more balanced. The key to creating a cohesive living room is to scale your side table with your seating options. A standard rule is to place an end table beside a seat or side farthest from the coffee table.
What Should You Place on Your Tabletop?
Accentuating your side table makes a difference in the ambiance of your living room. Depending on the theme you're creating, you may add a statement lamp on top of your side table or florals and greens. You may also layer some ceramics or handmade decorative pieces to add character to your design. If you want an intimate and welcoming look, try using some scented candles as your centrepieces.
You know you have a winning living room if it is filled with the things you love and is full of purpose. You don't have to be a master of everything to complete your lovely space. Knowing the basics and getting real with your own style will significantly elevate your style.
Recommended products for this article
Emma Coffee TableSold Out
Quick DeliveryCollins Coffee Side TableRegular price $249.00 $249.00
Quick DeliveryScamor Side TableRegular price $249.00 $249.00
Aveline Ash Wood Side TableRegular price $499.00 $499.00